Board Certified Ophthalomologist – DAVID G. O’DAY, MD
“My goal is to provide vision outcomes for all my patients in excess of their expectations.” Dr. David O’Day
- A native of Atlanta, Georgia, Dr. O’Day completed his undergraduate studies at Tulane University before attending Georgetown University where he first completed a Masters of Science in Physiology and then completed a Doctorate in Medicine. While in medical school, Dr. O’Day was awarded a Naval Health Profession Scholarship and subsequently served on active duty as a physician in the United States Navy for four years.
- Upon leaving the military, Dr. O’Day completed an ophthalmology residency at Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia. He was then awarded highly competitive fellowships for further training in cornea and external diseases at the University of Minnesota, and in refractive surgery at the Phillips Eye Institute in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He completed his training in 1993, and was certified a Diplomat of the American Board of Ophthalmology in 1994.
- Dr. O’Day has since been in professional practice as a cornea and refractive surgery sub-specialty ophthalmologist founding Charleston Cornea and Refractive Surgery in January of 2001. The practice continues to grow today with four office location throughout coastal South Carolina.
- Dr. O’Day has been involved in laser vision correction and vision correction research for over 14 years. As Clinical Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at the Medical University of South Carolina he has researched, taught, and lectured on a wide array of vision correction techniques and procedures.
- Dr. David O’Day has performed more than 80,000 refractive surgical procedures, making him one of the most experienced refractive surgeons in the world, and definitely the most experienced refractive surgeon in South Carolina.
- Dr. O’Day has been featured on television programs, academic seminars, and is a frequent contributor to national and international medical journals on the subject of vision restoration and enhancement.
- Dr. O’Day has a 98+% complication-free success rate for LASIK. This means less than 2% of his patients experience any complications – with more than 55,000 procedures this is almost unheard of in the field of LASIK.
- Dr. O’Day has a 2% enhancement rate. 98 out of every 100 LASIK patients walk out of Dr. O’Day’s suite and never need a ‘touch up’ to their vision. Considering the many variables in any eye surgery this tells you that Dr. O’Day performs the most precise and competent procedures imaginable, and that his name is a virtual guarantee of excellence of outcome.
- LASIK is not for everyone and Dr. O’Day rejects, on average, 10% of applicants for LASIK, recommending and providing alternate vision care for the majority of those patients.
- Dr. O’Day frequently treats complex cases referred to him by other LASIK surgeons and has a well-founded reputation amongst his peers for experience and excellence.
- Voted one of America’s “Top Ophthalmologists” in 2006, Dr. David O’Day is one of South Carolina’s highest trained and experienced comprehensive corneal and refractive surgeons, with expertise in the most advanced techniques of corneal and vision correction surgeries.
- Dr. O’Day was included as in the 2009 edition of “Guide to America’s Top Ophthalmologists” by Conumer’s Research Council of America.
- Dr. O’Day is experienced in many refractive surgery procedures, such as RK/AK, CK, ALK, excimer laser PRK, LASIK, LASEK, Custom WaveFront-Guided LASIK, and Epi-K. Dr. O’Day is also skilled in performing cataract surgery, intraocular lens implantation, corneal transplant surgery and surgical treatment of eye diseases. His skill, commitment, and experience have earned him a reputation for the pursuit of excellence and for providing satisfaction beyond his patients’ expectations.
- Dr. O’Day’s professional involvements include: the Eye Bank Association of America, Medical Advisory Board, the South Carolina Lions Eye Bank, American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, the International Society of Refractive Surgery of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the Midwest Cornea Society, the Association of Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, the Charleston Ophthalmological Society, and the South Carolina Medical Association.
- Specialties: Refractive Surgery, Corneal/Cataract/Anterior Segment Surgery